Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:55:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Brendan Kosowski <brendan@bmk.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.5 Security Problem

	You probably got broken into through popper. Are you running
	qualcomm version?

	I suspect intruders either replaced telnetd/login binaries or
	simply connect to popper to get a shell. They also modified wtmp
	files to hide their presence on they system.
	This issue (popper bug) has been discussed before on this list.
	Anyone running FreeBSD IMHO should be on this list AND bugtraq if
	they care about security at all.

	I'd re-install the OS at this point since you have no way of
	knowing where you might have a back door.
	FreeBSD security advisories are located at:
	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/
        You will not see popper advisory in this directory since popper
	is not part of the OS.

	If you do decide to re-install, take a look at
	www.best.com/~jkb/howto.txt for some basic steps one can take to
	make their FreeBSD a bit more secure out of the box.

-- Yan

www.best.com/~jkb/         Unix users of the world unite:
www.{free,open,net}bsd.org | www.linux.org | www.apache.org | www.perl.com
"Turn up the lights, I don't want to go home in the dark."