Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2002 10:11:21 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        "Nadir@Attractive" <nadir@attractive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial SQL for FreeBSD

Nadir@Attractive wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For the past 2 years we have been using We use FAMP (FreeBSD, Apache,
> MySQL, PHP) to power our commercial sites, and it has been going just
> fine. During these two years, though, we're expanded and we would like
> to use a commercial SQL solution for us and our customers.

Since when is MySQL *NOT* a commercial product?  Monty might
be somewhat upset if he heard you say that.  Are you sure you've worded
your question correctly?  MySQL-AB is the company that develops MySQL
and they'll sell you support contracts if you'd like, or sell you MySQL
under a different license than the GPL if that's what you need.  What
is it you're looking for?

> Which of the following solutions would run on FreeBSD natively and would
> give us the quality product we're seeking:
>
> 1) Oracle
> 2) IBM DB/2
> 3) Sybase
> 4) PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL is pretty much in the same boat as MySQL as far as I can tell.
It is the only one of the 4 listed above that has a native FreeBSD port,
so will probably be the easiest to install.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology