Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:57:18 -0400
From:      "James A. Mutter" <jm7996@devrycols.edu>
To:        tbrock@mail.phoenix.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling non ports. Libraries etc.

At 10:12 AM 4/14/99 -0500, Tony wrote:

I've run into this problem before, my solution (not always successful) has
been to check a port Makefile for a similiar application.  e.g. trying to
build Balsa for GNOME, I checked and copied/exported the Makefile
environment from an earlier version of the application.

Not always successful, but a start.

Additionally, and probably a better way to do it would be to supply the
additional arguments to configure.  Usually ./configure --help will tell
you how to add additional paths/etc...

Good luck...

>Here's the basics.
>cvsup'ed 3.1-Stable system.
>Everything I have installed is ported.
>No problems whatsoever except...
>
>For several weeks now I have been trying to understand why applications not
>located in the ports tree that I try to build refuse to locate libraries I
have
>installed.  For instance while trying to compile WebMaker for KDE, the
>configure complains that it cannot find libraries like kimgio, libpng,
libjpeg
>etc.  It's driving me absolutely up the wall.  I've searched every mailing
list
>I could find.  I've searched the gnats databases, I've even tried asking
on the
>IRC #freebsd channel (Which by the way is NOT a good place to ask
questions of