Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 15:00:51 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jrclark@netview.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 430 out of 448 instructions used

> Hello, I am not familiar enough with the c compiler to know what the
> following message means:
>
> cc -Wall -o aic7xxx_asm ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx_asm.c
> ./aic7xxx_asm -o aic7xxx_seq.h ../../dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.seq
> 430 out of 448 instructions used.
>
> It would seem that I want all 448 functions, but then again, I have no idea
> what this is trying to tell me. <g>

The "cc" and "./aic7xxx_asm" lines above are separate commands, not a continued line
from the "cc" command.

The first line compiles the aic7xxx "assembler"; this is the program that
compiles/assembles the code for the sequencer on the Adaptec aic7xxx adapters.

The second line actually runs the assembler, using aic7xxx.seq as the
input file, and producing aic7xxx_seq.h which contains the code to be
downloaded to the sequencer.  The "430 out of 448..." line is an informational
message that tells you 430 instruction words were formed; the aic7xxx
sequencers can store up to 448 instructions.  You can disregard this message
(unless it uses more than 448 instructions!).

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org