Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:43:27 +0200
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I want to upgrade an old (8.3-RC2) FReeBSD installation, but can't install subversion

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Erich Dollansky
<erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not got through the full thread to see if you found a solution.

Yes, I did. In fact, freebsd-update provided the solution; I used it
to upgrade to FreeBSD 8.4-release:
root@kg-vm2# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-vm2 8.4-RELEASE-p14 FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE-p14 #0: Tue Jul  8
12:41:46 UTC 2014
     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

and since the machine now is on a supported version, the ports tree
works again, and I installed subversion and
used that to get the latest FreeBSD 8-stable source on the machine,
and used that to update the machine to FreeBSD 8.4-stable.

HTH
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen