Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:32:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>
Cc:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC drivers

On 9 Jul 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Believe me, it still sucks. Search the archives (both the mailing list
> archives and the PR database) for "no buffer space", and/or "ep0".
> Basically, the driver is fine for telnet and mail, but wedges under
> sustained load. I can get it to hang without ever going above 20 kBps
> (160 kbps). Gimme an Intel EtherExpress.

They are definitely funky.  I have one (thank goodness it was given to me,
I didn't buy it.  :) ) It usually sits on the shelf, but when I have tried
to use it, it will do all kinds of strange things.  In some machines, the
probe fails to detect it.  Drop it straight into another machine, and it
will be detected fine.  If you can get it detected, sometimes it will
basically work, and sometimes it will go at about 5 K/sec.  Drop it into
another machine, and it'll do 800 K/sec.

Don't ask me... I don't know.  That's why it sits on the shelf.  :)

Later......						<Doug>