Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:11:52 -0600
From:      "Aron Silverton" <ajs@labs.mot.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Gordon Broom <gjbroom@alumni.uwaterloo.ca>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mozilla window won't open after upgrade - FIXED

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 23:47, Gordon Broom wrote:
>
>>>Did you ever rebuild Mozilla with -DWITHOUT_XFT specified?
>>>

>>That did the trick, thanks!
>>
>>Whatever XFT is, apparently I can live without it :-)
>

> It adds anti-aliased font support to Mozilla.  If this fixed your
> problem, you either have a bad font, a bad fontconfig cache, or a bad
> freetype2 installation (or a combination of all three).
>
> Joe

I take back what I said before about having fixed the problem.  I have
scripts that run weekly to update my ports tree, rebuild the index, and
use portupgrade to upgrade anything out of date.  The last one that ran
(after I finally got Xft, fontconfig, and mozilla working) upgraded Xft
again and broke everything.

I did a "chmod -R 0644 fonts" even though I'm pretty sure that they were
all 0755 before which should be plenty generous.  I didn't check every
file so I can't be sure.  Now debugging mozilla gives a seg fault in
libfontconfig instead of libxft.  I tried a "fc-cache -f -v" and I get
the same.

I prefer to be able to use anit-aliased fonts.  I'll try to build
mozilla without them or I'll try the mozilla prefs hack until somebody
can come up with a logical approach to isolating and fixing the real
problem.

(This all started when I decided to convert my last FreeBSD box over to
the portupgrade system with a massive portupgrade -afR.  This always
requires some massaging with pkgdb -F, but I've never had such
persistent issues with a port.  All of my other FreeBSD machines are
very happy.)

Aron

--
Aron J. Silverton