Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 22:46:13 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   texinfo changes ready

I'm ready to commit the texinfo upgrade I described a few days
ago.  I've never commit such a large set of changes, so before I
do I'll describe the changes; please tell me if this is okay.

1. In the directory gnu/usr.bin/texinfo, remove the file "Makefile.inc"
   and directories "info-files", "makedoc", "misc", and "texindex".

2. texinfo sources will now go in the contrib directory, so most
   of the files in the "info", "makeinfo", and "doc" get removed.

3. Add new Makefiles to each remaining subdirectory and new subdirectories
   "libtxi" and "install-info".

4. Import the original sources post-configured and patched into
   gnu/texinfo.

That's the complete set of changes to the texinfo installation.
Now comes the set of changes that replaces the old method of
installing the /usr/share/info/dir file.

5. Modify share/mk/bsd.info.mk so that the building of info files
   uses install-info to add each file to the dir file.  No pre-built
   dir file is located anywhere in the source tree, only an empty
   template share/info/dir-tmpl which is copied to share/info/dir when
   building begins.

6. Now info files in the source tree which are already annotated with
   the information required by install-info will install themselves
   correctly into share/info/dir the rest of the files (most of them)
   will require additional modifications to their respective Makefiles.

7. For info files in package P not containing the annotations, the
   Makefile previously reading.

INFO=  foo bar

Is modified to read:

INFOSECTION= "P Documentation"
INFOENTRY_foo= "* foo: (foo).		Documentation for the `foo' command."
INFOENTRY_bar= "* bar: (bar).		Documentation for the `bar' command."

The Makefile is otherwise unmodified.  After building, the dir
file will contain:

P Documentation
* foo: (foo).			Documentaiton for the `foo' command.
* bar: (bar).			Documentation for the `bar' command.

The directory share/info is given an install rule to install the dir
file.

Please tell me if these modifications are okay.

-josh