Date:      Mon, 5 May 2014 16:29:01 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <lattera@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chromium@freebsd.org
Subject:   Compiling Chromium as a Position-Independent Executable

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

Hey All,

I'm working with a couple other developers on implementing ASLR on
FreeBSD. In order for ASLR to be effective, applications have to
compiled as position-independent executables (PIEs). In my ports
tree [1], I've added support for doing just that. I'm doing initial
testing with applications I frequently use.

I've added PIE support to Chromium. I'm actively testing on my main
workstation running 11-current/amd64.

I noticed two things:
1) The flash plugin doesn't work on 11-current/amd64 with a kernel with
ASLR compiled in.
2) HTML5 video and audio don't work when Chromium is compiled as a PIE.
I do have the codecs port option turned on.

I'm running my own pkgng repo at [2]. If you'd like to give it a whirl,
feel free. Just be mindful of my precious VPS bandwidth. Chromium in
that repo is compiled as a PIE.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need logs or if there's anything I
could do to help out, let me know.

[1]: https://github.com/HardenedBSD/freebsd-ports
[2]: http://amd64.11-current.pkgbuild.0xfeedface.org/

Thanks,