Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 12:31:34 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins Esq." <hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   cramming linux, freebsd, & dos into 4 primary partitions

I don't seem to be able to do the math to make this work :)

I run debian linux at the moment, but i'd like to play with, maybe
switch to, FreeBSD.

Until everything absolutely works, though, i'll need to stay running
linux most of the time.  Also, /home and the news spool simply have to
be shared. (I actually ended up unsubscribed from the debian-user list
when my machine came up running bsd, but i hadn't added my user account
yet.  bloody thing denied i existed :)

Anyway, the need to share means that I need an ext2fs primary partition
as I understand it:  linux can't write to ufs, and freebsd can't touch
logical linux partitions.  add a freebsd partition, the extended
partition for the rest of linux, and i'm up to three primaries.

Then I need a dos partition for dosemu & wine (some kids stuff & other
stuff that i need to test), and I need a partition in the low 1023
cylinders for the linux & bsd kernels.  That seems to be five primary
partitions.

The only ways I see around this are,

1) somehow convincing freebsd that a logical ext2fs is really a primary
2) somehow putting ext2fs partitions into the freebsd partition
3) somehow putting the kernels into the early part of the dos partition
& protecting them
4) leaving empty space before the first partition, and somehow stuffing
the kernels there.

any ideas?

rick

--
These opinions will not be those of ISU until it pays my retainer.