Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:55:10 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        "Jonathan Gilpin" <jonathan@fluent.ltd.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netcell SyncRaid SR3000/SR5000 FreeBSD

"Jonathan Gilpin" <jonathan@fluent.ltd.uk> writes:
> The raid array does appear to be detected however when I use the fisk
> utility durring the installation it complains about the drive geometry.
>
> FreeBSD detects:  Cyl/Hd/Sect 94415/255/63
>
> The utility suggests using 911534/104/16 I agree to this and it then says
> that this suggest geometry is invalid. I continue and when it comes to
> make the new file system it gives the time out errors above and then comp=
lains
> it cannot write to the disk.

These problems are unrelated.  FreeBSD does not care about drive
geometry.  The reason fdisk(1) mentions it is that the geometry (or
actually a fake but plausible geometry - modern disks can't be
accurately described in terms of C/H/S) is encoded in the MBR for
legacy reasons.  If the numbers in the MBR are wrong, the BIOS may be
unable to load FreeBSD from disk when it boots.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no