Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:55:24 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        "David S. Besade" <webmaster@machowto.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A Little Update

Hi Dave,

> I thought I would give the developers a little heads up on my progress
> through Beta-3 to RC1. I know you probably have your own test machines,
> however I have been waiting for a Tier 1 release since FreeBSD 4.4 and now
> that I have the time to help.. I am going to try.

  ppc is still a ways off tier-1, but it'll get there one day.

> **
> Machine Specs
> **
> iMac DV Special Edition
> 400Mhz G3
> 384MB PC100 RAM
> Dual USB
> Dual Firewire
> 10/100 Ethernet
> 8MB Rage 128
> Slot Load DVD

  Would you be able to post a dmesg for this system ?

> **
> How I installed Ports
> **
> I Just FTP'd into the FreeBSD Main server and downloaded ports.tar.gz. Then,
> after installing wget, I used csup to install the source and update ports.
> Works great. No Problems. If you all need someone to start going through
> ports and test compiling everything, let me know, this is a local machine
> and I can work on that and send in the logs for the failures.

  Go for it !

  The main problems I've had with ports are ones with a
machine-dependent component (e.g. clisp, emacs), and they're ones
that'll probably need to be fixed by folks on this list and submitted to
the port maintainers.

> So Far everything has been stable, I am going to compile a optimized kernel
> tonight to help with build speeds as I don't need the debug output to test
> build.

  A kernel built without INVARIANTS and WITNESS will be a lot faster.

> A Big Thank you to Peter & Crew for making this happen.

  Thanks for your support !

later,

Peter.