Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 20:47:37 +0200
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@dead-end.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Michael Mannsberger <mannsber@starmedia.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (2) hey

RFC 1035 isn't the only RFC under this aspect. While in RFC 1035
the host specification is a "should", in other RFC's it's a "must"

They are:
RFC 1123   Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Application and Support
which has a pointer to
RFC 952    DOD INTERNET HOST TABLE SPECIFICATION

So, underscores in Hostnames aren't allowed. They are not forbidden
in the DNS specification (you can in fact use underscores in different
context in DNS), but because of the RFC's above.

You should also take a look at
RFC 2181   Clarifications to the DNS Specification
specifically Section 11

Daniel

Evren Yurtesen schrieb:

> Well, I am the person who has this problem.
> The RFCs does not explicitly say that we should not use underscore
> character
> as far as I understood. But it suggests which characters we should use.
[...]