Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:01:18 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Robert Neumann <shritis@gmx.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HD error: BAD SUPER BLOCK

Hi!

> > If the drive worked in the 4.7 machine, what was the fstab entry there?
> >
> I cant recall the fstab entry but the drive was as Master on the
> secondary IDE channel and had only one partition using all diskspace.
>
> In the 4.9 machine the drive is on a DMA-66-Controller. Under Win2000
> this is listet as a SCSI-Device. I don't know whether this can be the
> problem - I will try to put it again on the IDE-Channel.
>

> > What is the output of 'disklabel ad6'?
> >
> # /dev/ad6:
> type: unknown
> disk: amnesiac
> label: fictitious

OK, I admit I don't know what is going on here. Someone with more
experience is needed.

Just for comparision, here is the beginning of 'disklabel ad0' of one
of my FreeBSD machines:

type: ESDI
disk: ad0s1
label:

Note the difference: type='ESDI' vs 'unknown', disk='ad0s1' vs
'amnesiac'. This must indicate something, but I have no idea what...

> 8 partitions:
> #      size      offset  fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>     c: 160086528     0    unused     0     0     # (Cyl. 0 - 9964*)
> /kernel: ad6: cannot find label (no disk label)
> /kernel: ad6s1: cannot find label (no disk label)

... except that your system doesn't see a meaningful disklabel in the
only slice on this disk, as it says above.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* If you cannot change your mind, are you sure you have one?