Date:      Sat, 12 Aug 2006 11:48:50 +0100
From:      "James Mansion" <james@wgold.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Mark Linimon" <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: diskless (or rather, readonly)

>No one has run and hidden away.  I think you completely misunderstand
>how Open Source projects that are driven by volunteers work.

I assure you that I understand - I just think its far from ideal.

I don't see why my relationship with 'the suppliers of FreeBSD' should
in any way differ from my relationship with the suppliers of Solaris or
Windows or RedHat (all of which I use at work) or 'the suppliers of Ubuntu
Linux' which I use at home when I want to use Linux.  All of which are
cheap as chips (well, not RedHat) and work OK.

Now I quite accept all the excuses you give about why things can be
problematic with volunteer projects, but if you want to be part of
a system that's a contender, then you have to address it.

You can't tell users thatthey have to be developers, which is
effectively what you told me.  Sorry, it doesn't work any more.  There's
too much good competition - adequate workstation operating systems
are commoditised.

James