Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2020 14:15:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PXE boot with 2 NICs

Is it possible to PXE boot from 1 NIC, and then switch all (or most)
network traffic to the other NIC? I have a Gigabyte motherboard (R182-Z90)
that won't PXE boot from an OCP or PCI-E NIC (Intel x540 or x550 10GBE
cards) but only has 1 1GBE motherboard NIC. So I would like to boot from
the the 1GBE port but use the 10GBE NIC for the heavy traffic to the file
server.

The message when attempting to boot from the add-in card is:

   !PXE Structure was not found in UNDI Driver Code Segment

which suggests a problem in the MB firmware. I don't really expect
Gigabyte to offer a solution, but I am thinking that FreeBSD might have a
work-around. The cards do work if I boot from a CD-ROM. But we have 30+
systems, all the others booting PXE and I don't relish having an
exception.

Daniel Feenberg