Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:53:02 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

Garance A Drosihn wrote in message ID
<v04011700b26e1fccb9c1@[128.113.24.47]>:
> Presumably the message is there to give advance warning about the
> usage of swap.  A message that says "Hey, you're out of swap" just
> seconds before the machine completely dies is not quite as useful
> as one that tries to give you more advance notice (such that you
> could think about adding more swap space next weekend).

Then I'd prefer to see a user-tunable setting which prints out a
kernel error when you reach a certain percentage of swap space
used. IMHO, in a server environment, that makes much more sense as you
want to keep everything possible in RAM, and using swap (any swap) is
a last resort. Thats certainly how I try to tune my servers.

Gary