Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 20:54:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shaun <sfinn@thecore.com>
To:        support@gwis.com
Cc:        support@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 is not working with supposedly supported SMC card

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Dan Roberts wrote:
> I'm building a new news server for my ISP, and we chose the SMC EtherPower
> 10/100 (Model 9332) because it came highly recommended, especially for use
> with FreeBSD.  Today I assembled the machine and made the boot floppy for
> 2.2.2.. when the machine powered up, the link light came on, however as
> soon as the boot up went by and de0: device was detected, the link light
> went out and the ethernet card ceased to operate.  I substituted a cheap
> NE2000 card to install the OS, and then tried compiling my own custom
> kernel, replaced the card and the same thing happened.
>
> There is no mention of this in the handbook or faq as far as I can see..
> Can you assist, please?  Thanks.

I had the same problem but never persued a solution as I was in a hurry
to get the machine online and I had another 10Mbps only SMC card available
which worked immediately. The problem appeared to be that FreeBSD detected
the card and automatically switched it into 100Mbps mode with no regard
for my network which is only 10Mbps. The same card worked fine when I
placed it into a W95 box on the same network. The card is supposed to
auto-detect the network and switch appropriately, but it appeared that
FreeBSD was overriding that somehow or for some reason.

Anybody have more info?

| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| sfinn@thecore.com                P.O. Box 106                    |
| (732)928-7400 FAX:(732)928-7402  Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |