Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 08:10:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Adam Maloney <adamm@sihope.com>
To:        "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shell/awk scripting help - parsing directories to gainuser/file information for commands

You could pull the data for the FOR loop out of the apache config,
something like:

# Assuming your config is something like:
 <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
 DocumentRoot /www/user1
 ServerName www.blah.com
 CustomLog .../blah.com.access_log
 </VirtualHost>

for DOMAIN in `grep ^ServerName httpd.conf | awk '{ print $2 }'`; do
  # DocRoot is one line above ServerName
  OUTPUT_DIR=`grep -B 1 $DOMAIN httpd.conf | grep ^DocumentRoot | awk '{ print $2 }'`
  OUTPUT_DIR=`echo "$OUTPUT_DIR/stats"`

  # CustomLog is 1 line after ServerName
  ACCESS_LOG=`grep -A 1 ^CustomLog httpd.conf | awk '{ print $2 }'`

  webalizer -o $OUTPUT_DIR $ACCESS_LOG
done

Obviously needs some tweaking, and there are TONS of other ways of doing
this.  I have perl code somewhere that actually does this right - it
treats everything between the VirtualHost lines as a record, and can pull
all of the per-site config from it.

For most things like this in Awk, you need to know 3 things:

awk '{ print $3 }'    will print field 3 (whitespace seperated)
awk '{ printf("Hello %s\n", $3 }'  you can use C-style printf for formatting
echo "1X2X3X4" | awk -F X '{ print $2 }'     field seperator is "X"

You can get more fancy:

Input is:

"print this line"
"not this line"

# Only print the line with the word "print" in it:
awk '/print/ { print $0 }'

$0 represents the entire line, so awk searches (/) for "print" and for
each matching line, prints it.

Get much more complicated than this and just "use Perl;" :)

Good luck.