Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:15:11 -0500
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: regex(3): support for \< and \> word delimiters

Hi;

Il giorno 27/giu/2014, alle ore 15:25, Bryan Drewery =
<bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> ha scritto:

> On 4/21/2014 1:53 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
>> Hello;
>>=20
>> Is there any related standard (or in absence strong feelings)
>> about having \< and \> delimiters in regex expressions?
>>=20
>> I have an old PR bin/153257 which actually comes from illumos:
>> https://www.illumos.org/issues/516
>>=20
>> I don't use them but maybe it would help people moving their
>> scripts from Solaris.
>>=20
>> Regards,
>>=20
>> Pedro.
>=20
> I don't know about a standard, but I find the lack of \< \> to be a
> frustrating difference with other platforms. [[:<:]] [[:>:]] work but
> are far more characters to type.
>=20

Thank you for the feedback! I had closed the issue because I thought =
there was no interest.

Another thing that needed consideration was that I thought there was =
some work going on to replace libregex with libtre, which doesn=92t =
support *any* such delimiter so committing the change would raise the =
bar for the replacement. Discussing it with Gabor it seems like libtre =
is not in the capacity of replacing our current libregex anyways so I =
guess Spencer=92s libregex is here to stay.

While here, there is also the sed(1) syntax issue:

https://www.illumos.org/issues/586

Adopting both changes would probably reduce to a minimum the use of GNU =
sed in the ports tree, but such changes are likely to be =
controversial(?) and I don=92t feel like wearing asbestos underwear at =
this time .. at least not for sed ;).

Pedro.