Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:34:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        imb@scgt.oz.au (michael butler)
Cc:        swaits@pr.erau.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NetBUI and/or IPX routing?

> This raises a question of mine .. is it possible to have one Novell server
> on one ethernet segment and none on another (workstation) side ? I gather
> that I need to specify a different Novell "network number" on each side of
> the FreeBSD box but does this prevent me from using a "far" server as my
> nearest ?

The "GetNearestServer" packet is a brodcast packet local to the segment
the station is on.

It is expected that you will have at least one local server per segment.

You *could* proxy-respond if you were a brouter *and* you knew there
was no server going to respond.

Typically, you set a delay for server response preference.  That way,
if ther is a local server, it will respond before you do and the client
will pick it instead.

If you did proxy respond, you'd have to lie about your address, which
would convince the client it was on a segment other than the one it was
really on.  Responding to such a client and then expecting it to use
NCP's over you as a local brouter to get to the real segment would
probably cause a hop count conflict unless you really went whole hog,
so I'd expect a number of console messages on the real Novell server
that you proxied to.

Let's just simplify this as: Not Recommended.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.