Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:24:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
Subject:   Intel 82558 100/10  and AIC 7890

Hello!

Sorry, if this is not the right place to ask.
I just wonder, if these adapters are currently supported by -stable.
1.  Intel 82558 100/10Mbps LAN Onboard
and
2. Adaptec AIC 7890 & 3860 80MB/s Ultra2 Wide SCSI Onboard

Regarding the Adaptec:

I didn't find it in the list of supported controllers,
but I am not sure if it is up-to-date. (even though it has a note:
Updated September 8, 1998 )
It seems to have no Ultra2 controllers at all..

There is a chapter 3.21. (FAQ75.html)
which says:

The newer AIC789x series Adaptec chips are supported under the CAM SCSI
framework making it's debut in 3.0.
Patches against 3.0-CURRENT and 2.2-STABLE are in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/. A CAM-enhanced boot floppy is
available at http://www.freebsd.org/~abial/cam-boot/.

I looked in the first directory on ftp2.freebsd.org
It says:
Adaptec Aic7xxx driver (ahc):
                This driver supports all of the devices the original
                FreeBSD driver supports but with the following new
                features:

                        Supports aic7890/91/95 based controllers.
                        I have now tested the 2940U2W on both a
                        Seagate Cheetah and Quantum Viking II LVD
                        drive and it appears to work well.  I did
                        find out, the hard way, that the LVD cable
                        supplied by Adaptec in the 2940U2W kit has
                        very fragile connectors, so be extra careful
                        when seating these cables.  I do not know if
                        the termination control is correct for
                        motherboard based 7890/91 controllers is
                        correct, so if you encounter problems in this
                        kind of configuration, please let me know.

So,
can anybody clarify what is the current status of this driver ?
May be the FAQ should reflect that ?

Thanks,

Igor