Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 19:38:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "E.B. Dreger" <eddy+public+spam@noc.everquick.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wes@softweyr.com, tedm@toybox.placo.com, ewayte@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

> Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:09:08 -0700
> From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>

> The most obvious way to do this, IMO, is to make FreeBSD
> more accessiblle for use in commercial ventures, be it
> embedded systems or as a backdrop for commercial software
> using it as a platform on which some company puts their
> own face forward.

To this end, I'd say:

* More emphasis on Pico
* Pick'n'choose which specifc files (not just sets)

> This means making it substantially easier to do things
> like building distributions with custom kernels, greatly
> simplified "default installation" type things, etc..

I'm not opposed to a GUI-based easy install and config, so
long as I don't have to use it or even have it on disk.  I
rather like sysinstall, and would _not_ want something GUI
or anything like RH's installer or YaST.

Eddy

Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - EverQuick Internet Division
Phone: +1 (316) 794-8922 Wichita/(Inter)national
Phone: +1 (785) 865-5885 Lawrence