Date:      Wed, 09 Mar 2011 17:35:49 -0700
From:      Reed Loefgren <rloefgren@forethought.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apple & FreeBSD relationship

On 03/09/11 16:31, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 02:00:37PM -0800, Nerius Landys wrote:
>> This is not a technical question.
>>
>> Basically I have some cash sitting around.  I'm thinking of investing
>> part of it with a company that I believe in.  Apple came to mind.
> Don't invest your cash in a company that has reached it's peak and is
> on it's way down after it's charismatic leader dies sooner rather than
> later.
>
> 2nd biggest company by cap after Exxon?! Can you say "overpriced"?
>

>> You could say that I'd like to judge Apple's moral character before
>> investing money with them.  Does anyone know how Apple reciprocates
>> to FreeBSD?  After all a lot of MacOSX is borrowed from FreeBSD.  I
>> am not seeing Apple's name on this page:
>> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/donate/sponsors.shtml .  Are there
>> other ways in which Apple might be reciprocating?
> Apple produces the clusterfuck that is CUPS, I believe. They do also
> produce good stuff that is bsd licensed like GCD. But even if they
> produce magical pixie dust they're still overpriced.
>

>> - Nerius
> Regards,

At US$591.77 and little product in sight, I'd say nerd paramour Google
is overpriced too. They're *all* defacto overpriced once one takes into
consideration the price is set in large part by the herd mentality.
Perhaps fortunately, this works for the underpriced stocks too. The
trick is telling which is which. Always has been, unless you're Goldman
Sachs.

Apple bought CUPS for something like 20 million at some point in the not
too distant past. It works great for me with an HP3600n and an HP
laserjet4 but, if not for the 3600, I'd be on lpd again in a heartbeat.
If you think CUPS is a clusterfuck now you should check out the sundry
linux lists pre-sale date. The noobs were tearing their hair out. It's
come a long way.

The OP can invest where they'd like but like others I'd recommend a
small gift to the FreeBSD Foundation. I make one every year at tax time.
Feels good...

Regards,