Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2004 13:04:15 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 32 bit libraries - build hack

On Sunday 21 March 2004 11:53 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:12:29PM -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > mkdir /lib32
> > mkdir /usr/lib32
> > mkdir /usr/local/lib32
> > mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib32
>
> "lib32" should be reserved for 32-bit libs that are specific to AMD64
> (and either won't run on i386, or will run very sub-optimally).
> These libs should live in lib/i386.

Except that there aren't any amd64-specific 32 bit libs.  There is no 32
bit pointer mode except for i386 mode.  While we could configure gcc to
use 32 bit longs in 64 bit apps, it doesn't solve the pointer problem.
What is in these directories are the only '32 bit amd64 libraries' that
we're ever likely to have.  They can be compiled to use the fast
syscall/sysret instructions instead of int 0x80 and then they'll be
'amd64 specific'.  I just hadn't gotten around to it.