Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:00:55 +0100
From:      Frank <info@acst.de>
To:        Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
Cc:        Markus Brueffer <markus@brueffer.de>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: kdevelop-3.0.0

Hi

i don't delete much text here to have to whole process in one mail!

> On Thursday 04 March 2004 02:28, Frank wrote:
> > > save the attached shar out
> > >
> > > cd /usr/ports/devel/kdevelop
> > > sh <path/to/shar>
> > > make
> > > make deinstall
> > > make reinstall
> > > make clean :)
> > >
> > > run kdevelop
> > > create a brand new project
> > > try to build it.
> > >
> > > I've tested this here locally, with a simple KDE project, and it
> > > detects autofuck tools correctly, even if I have several versions
> > > of each installed, including older than required.
> > >
> > > Please, give me feedback, kde@ would really like to get this in the
> > > next release of kdevelop.
> > >
> > > The projects it creates should be portable to other unix systems
> > > too. I'd like feedback on that too, if possible.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > thanks for this quick reply but it didn't work.
> > I did the steps you wrote and after clicking Run automake & friends
> >
> > **** YOU'RE USING automake (GNU automake) 1.5.
> > **** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer
> > *gmake[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
> >
> > The script points to /usr/local/bin/automake , that is version 1.5
> > After i deleted /usr/local/bin/automake i created a symlink automake
> > -> /usr/local/bin/automake17 and tryed again.
> >
> > barilium:/usr/local/bin> cp automake automake15
> > barilium:/usr/local/bin> rm automake
> > barilium:/usr/local/bin> ln
> > -s /usr/local/bin/automake17 /usr/local/bin/automake
>
> Was this for an already existing project? If so, it won't/can't work,
> because the autofsck detection script is written at project creation
> time.
>
> You don't need ANY of the symlinks suggested by Markus with the system
> now, they can all be removed. It should just work with standard ports
> versions of automake17/autoconf257, and even with other versions
> installed too.

I don't have used the symlinks by Markus and it was a new created project!

> > Result: (after a fresh new project)
> >
> > cd "/home/frank/Developer/ttt" && WANT_AUTOCONF_2_5="1"
> > WANT_AUTOMAKE_1_6="1" gmake -f Makefile.cvs
> > *This Makefile is only for the CVS repository
> > *This will be deleted before making the distribution
> > *
> > **** Creating acinclude.m4
> > **** Creating list of subdirectories
> > **** Creating configure.in
> > **** Creating aclocal.m4
> > **** Creating configure
> > *configure.in:44: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or
> > m4_bpatsubst
> > *configure.in:70: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or
> > m4_bregexp **** Creating config.h template
> > *autoheader: `config.h.in' is created
> > **** Creating Makefile templates
> > *configure.in:44: warning: do not use m4_patsubst: use patsubst or
> > m4_bpatsubst
> > *configure.in:70: warning: do not use m4_regexp: use regexp or
> > m4_bregexp *configure.in:39: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> > comes from an *configure.in:39: old Automake version. You should
> > recreate aclocal.m4 *configure.in:39: with aclocal and run automake
> > again.
> > */usr/local/share/automake17/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCXX does not
> > appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
> > *gmake[1]: *** [cvs] Error 1
> > *gmake: *** [all] Error 2
> > **** Exited with status: 2 ***
>
> That's because when you made the symlink for automake17 -> automake, you
> forgot to do the same for aclocal17 -> aclocal
>
> Please, remove all the symlinks you created to hack around the system,
> or better still reinstall your automake(s)/autoconf(s), and try to
> create a new project again.

This was for an new created project.
(all with no symlinks)

I did these steps:
changing to the ports dir
run your script (only once)
make
make deinstall
make reinstall
reinstall all auto-tools
starting kdevelop
create a new project
Run automake and friends

**** YOU'RE USING automake (GNU automake) 1.5.
**** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer
*gmake[1]: *** [cvs] Err

I had this ports installed
autoconf-2-13.000227_5
autoconf-2.53_1
autoconf-2.53_2
autoconf-2.57_1
automake-1.4.5_9
automake-1.5,1
automake-1.5_1,1
automake-1.7.5_1

The 'Run automake and friends' script points allways
to /usr/local/bin/automake
This is the automake from /usr/ports/devel/automake

This night i reinstalled kdevelop and the autotools again.
I searched the whole hdd to be sure that there is no autoconf or automake
left bevor i reinstalled the autotools.
There was /usr/local/bin/automake16. Don't know which port has installed it
as a dep. I leaved it there!

I reinstalled
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf213
/usr/ports/devel/autoconf257
/usr/ports/devel/automake
/usr/ports/devel/automake14
/usr/ports/devel/automake17

I dont reinstalled automake15 and autoconf253 cause they seem to be the same
as /usr/ports/automake and /usr/ports/autoconf
(maybe not cause they have a different portrevision)

And allways the same. The creating script points to /usr/local/bin/automake
which is 1.5 and gave me : *** KDE requires automake 1.6.1 or newer

If i deinstall /usr/ports/devel/automake i got "automake not found"

Now i have the following ports installed
autoconf-2-13.000227_5
autoconf-2.53_1
autoconf-2.57_1
automake-1.4.5_9
automake-1.5,1
automake-1.7.5_1

/usr/local/bin/automake         /usr/local/bin/automake16
/usr/local/bin/automake14       /usr/local/bin/automake17
/usr/local/bin/autoconf         /usr/local/bin/autoconf257
/usr/local/bin/autoconf213

/usr/local/bin/automake is v1.5
/usr/local/bin/autoconf is 2.53

Maybe i am to stupid cause you wrote that the little patch worked for you!

But i have another idea!
The problem is that the wrong automake will be used.
What about to change the automake/autoconf ports?

Currently /usr/ports/devel/automake creates /usr/local/bin/automake.
Is it not possible to change the ports that /usr/ports/devel/automake
installs /usr/local/bin/automake15 and /usr/ports/devel/automake17
installs /usr/local/bin/automake

While KDev allways points to /usr/local/bin/automake it will now have the
correct version! The same for autoconf...

Or will this be a backward compat problem?

Frank

btw.
The symlink thing from Markus worked fine for all news created project in
KDev3 but without it shows me allways to the error above.