Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:32:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Strick <strick@covad.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        gaml@buz.ch
Subject:   Re: Sil680 RAID Support while installing 5.1-Release

on Sat, 27 Sep 2003, gaml@buz.ch wrote:
> I was wondering about the online Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller on my
> Gigabyte 7VAXP board. The 5.1 RELEASE boot CD crashes saying it
> couldn't write to root (which is weird, considering it usually should
> be able to write to memfs??).

That also seems odd to me.  My Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard also has a
Sil 3112 SATA RAID controller.  I can configure it in BIOS to operate
in either "base" (i.e. SATA) mode or in "raid" mode.  My 5.1-RELEASE
system just ignores the PCI device in either case because there is no
5.1-RELEASE driver for either personality.  (The controller identifies
itself slightly differently in its PCI configuration space header
depending on the mode.)

I recall booting the 5.1-RELEASE CD with the Sil 3112 controller in
base mode to see if 5.1-RELEASE had a driver for it and had no problem
(and no luck either).

Someone recently wrote in one of the freebsd-mailing-lists that they
had recently committed a Sil 3112 driver (personality unstated) in
the 5.1-current branch.

Dan Strick