Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      abram olson <dacia_icarus@yahoo.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mass uninstall all ports?

hey Cy, the answer to that is that I'm a total newb
and I didn't know that I could do it that way.

I did actually want xfree86 4.1 that was the first
package I built.  Then I started in with gnome cause I
already had it downloaded.  Then windowmaker and now
I'm working on the gimp, koffice, realplayer stuff
like that.

A tree view of what is installed and what is available
would be very cool.

The ports collection works fine the way it is.  I'm
having problems with it cause I'm a newbie and I don't
really understand the subtleties of how it works.

I like freebsd because it makes me learn how to use my
system.  Yea, I'm screwing it up right now but I'm
learning how not to screw it up as I go.  Linux used
to be like that too.  I'd hate to see freebsd start
developing tools that try to hold my hand so much that
they handcuff me.

If you decide to build a program like you describe, I
volunteer to be a guinnea pig.  I can't help with the
code writing but I'll happily test and give feedback.

Abe
> I'm confused.  Why not "pkg_info | lpr" and
> literally start from
> scratch then?
> You could use "pkg_remove -n" to print out port
> dependencies and only
> install the top level ports, which will drag in any
> dependent ports for
> you, however this will only install the very basic
> ports required by
> other ports, e.g. if you prefer XFree86-4.1.0
> instead of 3.3.6 you will
> have to either replace the port you don't want with
> the one you want or
> make sure that ports that are not referenced by
> other ports, e.g.
> XFree86-4, are pre-installed by yourself before you
> do any mass port
> install as mapped out by yourself on paper using
> "pkg_remove -n".
>
> Watching this discussion I've been toying around
> with the idea of
> creating a pkg_tree application, which would print
> out port
> dependencies.  However I won't entertain starting
> that project until my
> new Tripwire 2.3.1 port is complete, which is
> currently being tested in
> parallel with Tripwire 1.3.1, which I think should
> be fully tested and
> ready for inclusion in our ports collection in about
> 2-4 weeks from now.
>

> Regards,                         Phone:
> (250)387-8437
> Cy Schubert                        Fax:
> (250)387-5766
> Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:
> Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
> Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
> Province of BC

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the
message

=====
Jesus saves.
Allah forgives,
Cthulu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.