Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 18:12:57 -0400
From:      Snedley <rcoste1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, chris@cdrom.com
Subject:   emacs

    I have installed FreeBSD 2.1.7 and am very happy with it exclufding
hte fact that when I invoke emacs I get the message ldconfig failed cant
find file libgcc.a.261.0  or something very close to this.  I get a
similar message with Xemacs.  I can use nedit and pico but would rather
use emacs or Xemacs.  I talked with Chris @ Walnut Creek and he had me
load the binary compatability files which I did to no avail.  I then
reinstalled the OS this time including in the original instalation the
compatability files  and I still get the same mesage.  Everything else
works great.  I am using XFrr86 3.2A since I have a diamond Stealth 3D
3000 and it is directly supported by the S3V server.  I can do what
I wanted, that is program my projects, but I can't do so with an editor
I am familiar with and like.  Pico is the lowest common denominator and
nedit is ok bnut it is not Xemacs or emacs.

Thanks in advance