Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:32:59 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        remy@synx.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19980919-BETA try..

At 12:14 AM +0200 9/24/98, Remy NONNENMACHER wrote:
> Am I totally stupid or is it broken ?

In the words of Dogbert, "That isn't necessarily an 'or' question".
    (hey, easy now, that was just an attempt at some humour :-)

> After getting problems with boot.flp (seems to erase/broke the MFS
> image) I can't build an SMP system with it. (elf problems, 'curproc'
> undefined, etc....)
>
> Any news about SMP in 3.0-...-BETA ?

If you are going to run "current", you need to be on the mailing
list for current.  You really *need* to be there, especially right
now, when current is in a great deal of flux.  There is a lot of
discussion going on in that list, and I don't think it's good to
duplicate that in the freebsd-hackers discussion (because hackers
includes a lot of people who really have no interest in "current"
until it becomes "stable").  The discussions in "current" would
benefit from any specific bug reports you have to offer, if you're
really available to help shake out the recent changes.

disclaimer: I'm more of an onlooker to freebsd than a real
contributor, but I suspect the real contributors are pretty busy
right now...   :-)

For what it's worth, I have a snapshot of 3.0 before the great
ELF and CAM switchovers and it is working quite fine on a
dual-PPro system.  I do know that both the ELM and CAM switchovers
have caused some problems which are still being ironed out.  While
a number of people are operating with frazzled nerves right now, I
(for one) am still pretty encouraged with the way things seem to
be going. It's not "there" yet, but it's coming along and many
people are working hard on tracking down the remaining problems.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute