Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:45:16 -0400
From:      Brad <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   if_xl stall on kldload (apologies for repost)

I noticed an odd stall on a system with a 3Com 3c509 NIC; loading the if_xl.ko module during runtime, especially in cases where there there is an application attempting to use the network, will stall out.

The machine will function normally, but the module will not load, nor will the console be freed again (kldload will not accept a kill signal of any kind).

On only one occasion this has lead to a system panic.

My workaround is to compile this driver into the kernel, which is fine; the hard disk is removable however, and travels between several hardware configurations which otherwise work seamlessly.

FreeBSD Olduvai.brad-x.com 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #1: Wed Jun 19 13:35:25 EDT 2002     root@Olduvai.brad-x.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/OLDUVAI  i386

Debugging is not enabled in this kernel; I will attach dmesg output in a reply to this message shortly, detailing the hardware on the machine; no specific errors are generated that can render assistance though.

I would like to know what further information I can provide; I'm generally unfamiliar with dealing with a kernel debugger, but I'm a quick study. :P

Thanks,
Brad

// -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //

Sorry to repost this, the last one was written in a reply window unintentionally.