Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 09:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rls@kilroy.id.net (Robert Shady)
Cc:        temp@temptation.interlog.com, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A performance mystery

> > Writing the 16 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp' ...6.367188 seconds
> > Reading the files....2.164062 seconds (as it was scrolling I seen this
> > number as low as 1.xxx seconds)
> >
> > IOZONE perfor. measurements:
> >
> >      2634949 bytes/second for writing the file
> >      7752648 bytes/second for reading the file
>
> Okay, I've recently purchased a Pentium PCI500C-C motherboard with a 100Mhz
> CPU.  I've been thinking about swapping the motherboard for the ASUS board,
> but I wanted to run some quick speed tests to see if this one is better,
> or worse.  Doesn't make sense to swap out a good motherboard for a worse
> one.  Does anybody have any speed tests I can run/compare to for a 100 Mhz
> pentium?  It's running FreeBSD 2.0.5-Alpha right now, but only using IDE
> disks currently, so a disk read/write isn't going to show anything...

Get lmbench from the ports area, that should be a good test to find out
how fast that board is.  I have the numbers here for the ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4
board running at 90Mhz, can't produce the 100Mhz numbers right now as my
last 100Mhz cpu is about to go in the box.... and I won't be bringing
any in for a few weeks whilst I move..