Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:30:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Thomas (Matt) Barton" <matt@fear.net>
To:        "SPEAKEASY <bvagnoni>" <bvagnoni@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, SPEAKEASY <bvagnoni> wrote:

> I'm considering trying FreeBSD and have experience with both System 5
> Version 4, Redhat Linux 6.xx and greater and Suse 6.x.x and
> greater.What are their similarities and differences. Is your OS closer
> to Unix if so exactly without writing paragraphs are the major
> differences; if any? Why if I'm use to using and familiar with Redhat
> or Suse would I want to switch to FreeBSD?

I personally switched from using Red Hat to FreeBSD about three months ago
and have been very pleased with the switch.

I really like the way it handles the startup.  With Red Hat I had to deal
with all of those rc[1-6].d directories and all those sybmolic links.  I
like going into one configuration file (/etc/rc.conf) and telling it what
services to startup.  It is very clean and the man page lists all of the
commands (to my knowledge).  It is also noticably faster than Red Hat at
startup.

The base install doesn't come with a butt-load of software like Red Hat.
I don't feel like I'm getting a bunch of software that I'm never going to
use.  That brings me to my next point.

My favorite of all is the port collection.  It is amazingly simple.  I
just go into /usr/ports and choose the category and software package and
type "make install" and it downloads the software, applies any necessary
patches, compiles, and installs.  Everything that I have ever needed on my
FreeBSD box has been found in the ports collection.  I have only once
needed to compile and install software outside of the ports collection.

Overall, I find the OS to be very elegant and easy to manage.

Thanks.

--

Matt Barton         matt@fear.net
Indianapolis, IN    http://www.mattbarton.ws/