Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:44:23 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "jack" <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>, "Chris Piazza" <cpiazza@home.net>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NT reliability (was: Microsoft service packs... (was many otherthreads...))

> Today Chris Piazza wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 01:57:47PM -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > >
> > > It doesn't seem to be possible to stop and start interfaces on NT;
> > > instead, you reboot.  Not what I would expect of any good OS, let
> >
> > FWIW, Windows 2000 can do this fine.  It only took a few years ;-).
>
> Can it add and remove alias IPs on interfaces without the reboot
> that NT needs?

	I don't know if it's a new service pack thing or what, but I've noticed
that more and more of my NT servers _don't_ need reboots for that. They do
drop all current TCP connections, but then they're back up just fine. It's a
pain to disconnect everyone who happened to be doing anything, but it's less
painful than a reboot.

	It scares me though, because I have no idea why sometimes it works now
(like the last 4 times I did it) when it never used to.

	DS