Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:24:08 +0200
From:      Florian Wagner <florian@wagner-flo.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] change in devfs path matching logic

--Sig_/hlWmGbrcwMUpixR6aS2zAm+

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 17:06:51 +0300
Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>=20
> This change is about to be MFC-ed.
>=20
> on 26/07/2013 17:39 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> >=20
> > I have just committed a significant change to devfs path matching
> > logic http://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/253677
> >=20
> > Jaakko Heinonen (jh@) has full credit for the code while I have full
> > responsibility for any consequences of the commit.
> >=20
> > Before this change the logic of matching the devfs paths to the
> > patterns in devfs rules was quite arcane.  Now this logic should be
> > much simpler and logical (sorry for tautology).
> >=20
> > Please note that nothing changes with respect to matching simple
> > paths like /dev/something.  It is the complex paths that involve
> > subdirectories that are affected.
> >=20
> > I think that if you knew how the old logic worked and were able to
> > devise rules for it, then you will have no problem to change those
> > rules for the new logic. Just please don't forget to do it when you
> > upgrade!
> >=20
> > I hope that overall you will find this change to be an improvement.
> >=20
> > P.S. I notify stable@ because I currently plan to MFC this change
> > after 1 month period.  If you know a reason why the MFC should not
> > be done, please alert me to it.

That MFC is rev 254708, isn't it? Is the MFC complete with that single
commit? Because that just broke my (coincidentally made) build:

  cc1: warnings being treated as errors
  /build/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_rule.c: In function 'devfs_rule_matchpath':
  /build/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_rule.c:592: warning: implicit declaration o=
f function 'devfs_fqpn'
  /build/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_rule.c:592: warning: nested extern declarat=
ion of 'devfs_fqpn'
  /build/src/sys/fs/devfs/devfs_rule.c:592: warning: assignment makes point=
er from integer without a cast

Whereas rev 254705 builds successfully...

Regards
Florian