Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 15:45:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Christopher Warth <csw@epigram.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Amd direct mappings

Has anyone successfully used -direct mappings in Amd?

I set it up the way it is explained in the info file but all I get
when I try to access the mount point is "Stale NFS file handle"
errors.  I'm beginning to suspect something might be broken in this
version of Amd.

Specifics on OS and AMD version are:
	FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE
	hardware: Dell Pro200
	amd 1.1.1.1 of 1994/05/26 05:22:08 bsd44 #0: Wed Jul 17 01:11:58  1996
	Built by jkh@whisker.cdrom.com for an i386 running bsd44 (little-endian).
	Map support for: root, passwd, union, nis, file, error.
	FS: ufs, nfs, nfsx, host, link, linkx, program, union, auto, direct,
	toplvl, error.

The amd command line looks like:

	/usr/sbin/amd -p -r "foo.com" -w 240 -l "/var/log/amd.log" \
		/source /etc/amdmaps/amd.direct -type:=direct

The amd.direct map file contains:

	source 	type:=nfs;rhost=mach000;rfs:=/s0;sublink:=${key}

The results when running amd are:

    # pwd
    /var/log
    # cd /source
    # pwd
    /source
    # ls
    ls: .: Stale NFS file handle

I know there are about a thousand things that could be wrong here, but
I think I've eliminated the most obvious possibilities.  My amd mounts
for home directories and for hosts all work fine, even the host
mappings for the same machine where the sources are coming from works.
I've tried using a "link" or "linkx" type for the entry in the
amd.direct map with the same results.  I can successfully mount
mach000:/s0 my hand and access the "source" directory there - it is
just this direct automount that keeps failing.

Has anyone seen this behavior before under FBSD2.1.5?  if you have
direct mappings working could I see some samples of your direct mapping
file and your amd command line?

Thanks in advance,

-csw