Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 08:10:17 -0500
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   passwd file repair

Since the questions search/browse is down on freebsd.org, I'm asking for
some help in repairing the passwd file that I managed to mess up.

I boot in single user mode, enter:
  mount -u /
  mount -t -a ufs
  swapon -a

and then enter vipw, to which I get ex/vi not found.

What else/does one need to do to run vipw in single user mode,
or what needs to be done to rebuild the shadow passwd file if I
edit passwd with ex???

Thanks and sorry for the basic question.

Jim Ballantine