Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 2005 06:38:59 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Thierry Thomas <thierry@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: varying PORTVERSION with OSVERSION

On 21 Dec 2005 at 22:53, Thierry Thomas wrote:

> Le Mer 21 d=E9c 05 =E0 22:15:13 +0100, Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
>  =E9crivait=A0:
> > It came to my attention today that PORTVERSION can vary with
> > OSVERSION.  Is this a recommended practice?  For that matter can it
> > vary with ARCH?
>
> I don't know if there exists a policy about that, but this is possible
> for binaries ports (e.g. misc/dnetc or x11/nvidia-driver).

It was x11/nvidia-driver that was brought to my attention:

  http://www.freshports.org/phorum/read.php?f=3D1&i=3D1078&t=3D1078

> > I ask mainly because FreshPorts does not cater for this at present.
> > Given that I'm now working on making FreshPorts both OSVERSION and
> > ARCH independent, I wanted to gather more information before
> > proceeding with the design.  I was preparing to make FreshPorts aware
> > that FORBIDDEN and BROKEN may vary with OSVERSION and ARCH, and
> > nothing else.
>
> It would be great if the statistics of Broken / Forbidden / etc. were
> displayed by branches, thanks!

So far, for the most partm I'm thinking the current status will
remain.  The website will look like it does now, but, for example,
you'll see additional information at
http://www.freshports.org/x11/nvidia-driver/ ; the question I have to
answer first is: how to display multiple versions for one port.

--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/