Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:55:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Higher-res external monitors under X

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> > I'm running XFree86 4.3.0 on an IBM ThinkPad X23 under FreeBSD 4.8,
> > with Gnome/Metacity. The built-in screen has a maximum resolution of
> > 1024x768. I would like to be able to plug in an external monitor and
> > have that monitor display with a higher resolution, without having to
> > restart X (and thus have to shut down all my running X apps, etc.).

> > How can I accomplish this, if it's even possible?

> I don't think it is possible. Maybe someday soon though. The new RandR
> extensions should allow for on-the-fly resolution changes, but
> unfortunately I don't think any window managers have taken advantage of
> the new functionality yet. I think I saw KDE support in CVS though, so
> it should be available soon.

Unless something has changed, as long as you have valid modelines for all
display devices and resolutions you plan on having X output to, ctrl-alt-+
and ctrl-alt-- are your friends.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"