Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:41:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters), Cy Schubert - CITS Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>, Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

> From: wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
> Date: Thu 11 Jul, 2002
> Subject: Re: Package system flaws?

> The idea I like the best is to have the filesets (picture a .tar.gz
> or a .zip here) be external references on the fileserver; the XML
> contains all the metadata and URLs for the filesets.  As you fetch
> the XML, or after you've fetched all of the XML, you fetch the
> filesets you're not skipping.  Once you have the filesets on local
> storage, you can rewrite the URL references or convert them to
> in-line encoding, leaving the ones that have been skipped in the
> original URL encoding.

This is equivalent to my proposal, except that I don't see much value
in converting to the in-line encoding, and my method specifies a directory
name (or any suitable simple archive name) containing a package.xml and
compressed file sets, whereas you presumably expect the XML file to be the
primary referenced object.

> For instance:
>
> <package name="cat">
>   <fileset type="binaries" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.bin.tar.gz" root="@ROOT@" />
>   <fileset type="manpages" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.man.tar.gz" root="@MAN@" />
>   <fileset type="language" encoding="en_US" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.en_US.tar.gz" />
>   <fileset type="language" encoding="en_UK" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.en_UK.tar.gz" />
>   <fileset type="language" encoding="fr_FR" location="@HTTP_MASTER_SITE@/cat.fr_FR.tar.gz" />
> </package>

My equivalent would be:

  <package name="cat">
    <fileset type="binaries" location="bin.tar.gz" root="@ROOT@" />
    <fileset type="manpages" location="man.tar.gz" root="@MAN@" />
    <fileset type="language" encoding="en_US" location="en_US.tar.gz" />
    <fileset type="language" encoding="en_UK" location="en_UK.tar.gz" />
    <fileset type="language" encoding="fr_FR" location="fr_FR.tar.gz" />
  </package>

or:

  name=cat
  bin=bin.tar.gz
  man=man.tar.gz
  lang[en_US]=en_US.tar.gz
  lang[en_UK]=en_UK.tar.gz
  lang[fr_FR]=fr_FR.tar.gz

according to taste.

> Now assume you specified you want to install only the en_UK language
> files.  pkg_add would leave the en_US and fr_FR as external references,
> download the binaries, man pages, and en_UK filesets, and convert those
> three into local file references OR directly encode them into the
> package file.

Same except that I don't need the last step, though I could optionally
bundle up for archiving purposes.

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses