Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:09:00 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] percentage of bad blanks when burning CDs

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> This is a little off topic ...
> I recently bought a 30 pack of Memorex write-once CD blanks.
> So far, I've burnt about ten of them, and I've had 2 blanks
> that were bad out of the box.  The burner rejected them before
> I was able to do anything.
> Is this par for the course when buying packs of "discount"
> blanks? I'm just wondering if I want to spend $$ on Memorex
> again or if this is fairly typical.

I'd say 20% was unacceptably high. I'm used to more like 1 disk out of
a pack of 50 failing, and I tend to buy whatever 50-pack is on sale at
one of the local computer supply stores.

Two things may contribute to that. One is that I've got an older
burner, which doesn't burn faster than 4x. Even the cheap media is
certified at 8x or better, so that may help. The other is that I
always run a cloth over the blank to brush off any loose dust or
etc. before putting it in the drive. My coaster rate has gone down
dramatically since I started doing that.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.