Date:      21 May 1996 20:48:44 GMT+0200
From:      eagle@connx.vironix.co.za
To:        QUESTIONS@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBDS 2.0.5

To whom it may concern

About three weeks ago I bought a copy of FreeBSD 2.0.5 (Double CD Pack) from
a local software dealer.  Since then I have been trying to install the
software onto my computer.  I have an 80486 DX2-50, 12MB RAM, Western Digital
1.2 GB HDD (IDE), Conner 426 MB HDD (IDE), Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro
(8-bit stereo), Creative Labs Quad Speed CD-ROM (IDE), 1.44 & 1.2 floppy
drives and VL-BUS controller cards for the screen and multi I/O hard disk
controller card.  The multi I/O hard disk controller card is an enhanced IDE
controller card.

In the help documents on installing it says that FreeBSD 2.0.5 does not
support IDE CD-ROM drives so I followed the instructions for installing from
a DOS partition.  I copied the files using the commands given but when it
started to install it told me that it could not find root.flp but the file
was in the c:\FreeBSD directory.

I was installing from the C: drive (1.2 GB HDD) to the D: drive (426 MB HDD).
I want the whole D: drive to be dedicated to UNIX.  Later on I visited your
ftp site at ftp.cdrom.com and downloaded a file called atapi.flp which is the
boot disk that supports IDE CD-ROMS.  I used RAWRITE to make the disk as
instructed in the help files.  This did not work either.  It found the port
address and the IRQ of the CD-ROM and that is all .  I think that my CD-ROM
is not supported though because the model number is:  GCD-R540B.

I want to install the XDevelopers version which is about 200 MB and using
floppy disks is not a practical method for this installation.  Can you please
tell me how to make the programme install from the hard drive or if possible
from my IDE CD-ROM.

Yours Sincerely
Sean Preston

E-Mail:  eagle@connx.vironix.co.za

Snail Mail:
        13 School Road
        Amanzimtoti
        4126
        South Africa

Telephone Number:
        +2731-903-3553  (after 5:30pm South African Time - GMT + 2 hours)

... A feature is a bug with seniority.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12