Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:19:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice...

On Tue, Sep 16, 1997 at 09:00:44PM -0400, Jim Durham wrote:
> Søren Schmidt wrote:

>>> Hi...
>>>
>>>       I'm running a current 3.0 system, and am wondering if anyone is
>>> having problems running StarOffice?  I've got linux_mod loaded, as shown
>>> by modstat. and try 'scalc3'...the process starts up, consumes a bunch of
>>> CPU and then slowly degenerates into an idle process...
>>>
>>>       Anyone with similar experience?
>>
>> Yes, if I run the XF86SVGA server it just hangs there, if I use the
>> XF86_S3V or Xaccell servers it works just fine, no waits no nothing.
>> (It does take a bit to startup and show the advertizing, but thats
>> normal and intended).
>>

> What is "a bit"? I take it that's 15 secs or so?
>
> I am running the XF86SVGA server. How about you other folks?

I've tried it on both.  Sometimes it works immediately, other times it
hangs apparently misinterpreting name server replies.

> I have to confess, the reason why the X server type would cause
> the program to hang doesn't exactly jump right out at me 8-) .
> Maybe there's an X guru lurking that can hazard a guess?

I don't think the X server is the real reason.  I suspect it's just
passively helping the bug to surface.  If I were to suspect anything,
it would be the Linux emulation package.  Who could tell us if Linux
users have seen this problem?

In that connection, I seem to recall seeing some mention about needing
a Linux version of resolv.conf, but I can't recall where.  Any
pointers?

Greg