Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 10:02:03 +0100
From:      Simon Lindgren <lindgren@istudio.no>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Caching-only DNS?

My accessprovider (leased line) runs our DNS requirements on his own
servers (we do not run
'named' or equivalents on our FreeBSD machine).

Recently, nslookup's have started to fail all the time, with "query
refused" messages.
This happens only when ran from the shell - using telnet etc to domains work.

I asked them about this, and they said that they've discintinued allowing
"zone transfers" - and
that my server probably asks for a zone transfer upon doing a 'nslookup'.
Another
possibility was that we ran something called "caching-only DNS'.

How do I disable either? Or is there another solution? Not being able to do
lookups is a major pain.

Thank you very much

Simon Lindgren
lindgren@istudio.no