Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 1999 09:27:25 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        ekagan@usa.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alternative BIOS

> Hello all,
>
> I was wondering whether anyone has ever seen an alternative BIOS for
> Intel based servers that allows using serial port as a console, and not
> VGA.

Unfortunately, the nature of PC hardware means that the BIOS is tied
very closely to the hardware itself.  Thus, what you're looking for is
actually a board and BIOS combination.

> Something like Sun's eprom that can detect an absence of console and
> redirect all input/output to a terminal.
> And if so, does it work with Linux and/or FreeBSD.

I've used a very nice serial console facility on the Intel AD450NX
server platform; I expect that it's also available on its smaller
sibling the SC450NX.  These systems work just fine with FreeBSD,
although you will want to be installing 3.1 to take full advantage of
them.

At the opposite end of the scale, Mesa Electronics have a 386sx-based
board that also has a working serial console.

You may find a few other vendors of embedded server products with
serial BIOS support; they're going to tend to be quite a lot more
expensive than a "normal" server.