Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:14:56 +0100
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        hubs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Distribution of the FreeBSD vulnerability database

Dear hub maintainers,

I'm working on a project that notifies system adminstrators of vulnerabilities
in installed packages, it is available as port security/portaudit. I need to
distribute a database with a list of vulnerable ports that is daily updated.
The database is ~ 2k in size, but I expect it to grow.

Currently I'm using public_distfiles of my freefall account and fetch from
MASTER_SITE_LOCAL.
This approach is suboptimal, because
- it takes long for all mirrors to get the update
- I have to refetch the whole file, since I can not simply check if an update
 is available

I guess it would be better to distribute this file by http and have an
additional url where I can just check the current version/md5/whatever, but I
have absolutely no clue which load this will place on the servers.

Any advice from the experts?

Thanks
   Oliver

(sorry for the repost, I seems like my first didn't come through)