Date:        Fri, 26 May 2000 22:04:54 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: restricting installworld to certain distributions

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:18:02PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> This is a questions about how to restrict installworld in a way,
> so that only the formerly installed distributions get copied.  If
> this belongs to -questions, please tell me so (although I'm not
> subscribed there and don't like to post to channels I don't read
> personally).
>
> Here's what I did:  I have a "big" machine with 2GB of disk space
> dedicated to FreeBSD, so I
> - installed 3.3-RELEASE there
> - cvsupped to 3.4-STABLE (if it matters:  contacted
>   cvsup.de.freebsd.org around 2000/05/23 20.00.00 UTC, and it
>   took some two hours to transfer the 40 MB of update data which
>   makes it somewhat hard to tell "it's from *this* point in
>   time":)
> - ran "make buildworld" and "make installworld"
> - built a kernel with "config -r", "make depend", "make all",
>   "make install"
> - updated the /etc files as outlined in the handbook ("make
>   DESTDIR=... distrib-dirs distributions" in /sys/etc, diff and
>   cp or patch, diff once more to make sure)

With 3.4-stable updating '/etc' can/should be done using mergemaster
instead. Otherwise you seem to have followed the recommended procedure.

> This brought me to a machine running 3.4-S in regards of the
> kernel and userland.  So I went to export /usr with -alldirs and
> to mount /usr/src and /usr/obj on the smaller machine.
>
> The (soon to be) router has a 120MB disk only.  That's why I just
> installed the bin distribution from 3.3-R there (i.e. the
> "minimal" skeleton and I didn't mind, since all the doc and stuff
> is available on the other machine).  This (and a little swap
> space of 16 MB) left me with some 25 MB of free space on the
> drive after installation.
>
> But when I mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj of the "server" on the
> router and "make installworld" there all the stuff got installed
> that I didn't put there in the first place.  Suddenly I have
> manpages around and only a few KB of free space, causing a log
> message every once in a while.  Watching the logs grow I don't
> even know for how long the machine will be able to work reliably.
> Editor sessions and manpage invocations already stop with "fs
> full" failures.
>
> I guess you already know what I want to ask:  Is there a way to
> just update the installed software "no matter how voluminous the
> /usr/src tree is"?  Is there a way for installworld to have a
> look at the installed distributions?  Or is there a way of

You can't do quite what you ask for but almost.
If you look in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 you will find
some flags for 'make' to control what is/isn't built/installed.
For example: 'make -DNOSHARE -DNOINFO -DNOGAMES installworld'
will skip all manpages (and everything else that goes into /usr/share)
and all .info files and also the stuff in /usr/games.
You can also add -DNOPROFILE to avoid installing the profiled libraries.
That should leave a pretty minimal system.

> BTW:  Is it a feature or an error when "make installworld" won't
> run when /usr/src and /usr/obj are mounted (and exported)
> readonly?  I caught it bailing out at libsdbm.a.  Don't know who
> else could be involved since I had to remount it rw to make
> installworld pass this one step.

Minor bug. AFAIK it is *supposed* to work with at least /usr/src mounted
read-only. I don't think it does work though :-(