Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 2009 23:58:23 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PDF inventory software

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:45:38 -0400, Daniel Underwood <djuatdelta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Poly and LoH: Thanks, these are great ideas!

I'd like to add that if you define your data fields well, you
can use it to generate BibTeX and other LaTeX entries from your
records.

You can even easily turn it into HTML.

But as I said: Keep in mind that it's very basic - but that
makes is so versatile and strong. You could add a script that
does some work (add, delete, modify, search or duplicate
entries) for you, if you don't want to spend much time in the
editor, and don't want to keep the "pretty printing" of the
file intact (it doesn't matter anyway).

The MOST important thing to pay attention to is NOT to use
the desired delimiter inside a data field. If you already
know that : will be in one of the fields, just use a less
common symbol as delimiter, such as | or even ~.

Of course, more "comfortable" solutions will surely keep
off this "manual work" from you, but in most cases, they
involve installing LOTS of dependencies.

Finally, the advice of using some version control for the
upcoming changes of the file is a good idea. You can even
have more than one file, e. g. for separating topics or
projects.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany