Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:28:13 -0700
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   XFree86 -- next step?

I finally have XFree86 working, at least to the point that
I can type "X" and get the expected grid and "X" mouse cursor.

That in itself doesn't seem very useful, but it works.

As a learning exercise, which Desktop environment should I
install as a first effort, and how do I run it?

I'm referring to the FreeBSD Handbook at:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
Desktop Environments

I intend to install Mozilla as a browser, in case that makes
any difference.

Also, what is the mechanism that interprets the "X" command to
run XFree86?

Jay O'Brien
Rio Linda, CA USA