Date:      Wed, 02 Oct 1996 23:29:19 -0400
From:      Rick Weldon <rick@wisetech.com>
To:        Kim Culhan <kimc@w8hd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, rick@wisetech.com
Subject:   Re: Any info on Hackerbrau?

Kim Culhan wrote:

> Any hackers know anything about hackerbrau?

At the risk of being pedantic it isn't pronounced like you think though.
Phonetically it would be close to "Hawkerbroi". Pronounce the "a" like
you would with the "w" following it only take the "w" out when you say
it and lightly roll the "r".

They are the Hacker half of Hacker-Pschorr. Great Bier. I had fun in
their 'fest tent in Munich. Drank lots of it. Actually too much :-)

Ob blond, ob dunkel
...auf Ihr Wohl!

The type of bier in your picture is Edelhell (lit. "noble blond or
bright" versus dunkel which is dark)

> Hmm.. they claim Hackerbrau has been around since 1417, wonder what
> they were hacking back then?  :)

Good question :) I know the monks live on stark bier (strong beer)
through lent. (drank lots of it as well. Black, stuff floating in it,
bitter, and the best bier buzz in the world!) For 40 days it is all they
consume. The stuff sustains life! Geez... I can't think of a better way
to spend lent. Under these conditions I would imagine they really were
hacking. (as in praying to the porcelain god) :-) :-)